As much as we all love going off the grid when we go camping, having a ‘little’ technology to help make our lives easier is always a good thing (think LED lights or GPS for example!). Below is a list of Australia’s favourite camping apps for your Android phone or iPhone which will help make your trips easier:
- WikiCamps – iTunes $7.99
One of my personal favourites that I use often and is recommended by campers far and wide in Australia. All content is user generated with photos, information and location which means that it is usually up to date. It can also mean incorrect locations or illegal camp sites, so double check the info by calling ahead or checking other sources. Other countries available include New Zealand, Canada, the US and the UK. There is also an Android version available.
- MotionX GPS – iTunes $2.99
A great app for determining your current position and tracking and recording your outdoor activities. Download maps and store up to 300 tracks. Just remember that using the GPS continously on your phone also uses up your battery quicker!
- Weatherzone – iTunes free
My favourite weather app that I use all the time. Sunrise and sunset times, weather warnings, weather radar and 7 day forecasts using BOM data. You can also download the Weatherzone Plus app with 3 hourly weather forecasting ($2.99). There is also an Android version of this app available.
- Bird Guide – iTunes $29.99
The most comprehensive guide to Australian birds is now available on the iPhone and iPad. There are over 3000 images of around 790 bird species.
- Stars – iTunes – $5.99
Explore Australia’s skies with this amazing app. Just point it at the sky and you can see the names of the stars or use to app to search for a specific star or constellation.
- Camp Recipes – iTunes $2.99With over 700+ recipes conveniently listed by category, by time, and by keyword search, you can literally go on 100’s of campouts and hike’s without eating the same thing twice. This is the most comprehensive camping recipe app on the market!!
- Camps Australia – iTunes $4.99Camps Australia App, the ultimate verified camping and caravan park guide. Listings include free and low cost camping, station stays, national parks, state forest parks and rest areas, as well as all the tourist caravan parks throughout Australia. The App also shows all the public RV Dump Points and location of information centres to help you explore the areas you visit.
- TrackMyTour Travel Journal – iTunes – free
Lets you create an online map and microblog of your travels for friends and family to follow along.
Of course, these are just some of my personal favourites, so feel free to shop around and let me know if you find others that you would add to the list.
« Hello world! (Previous Post)
(Next Post) Food to take camping »